Tuicemen.com

Advanced search  

News:

Alex10  (Build 1.5.3.2 ) is now  available for download ~:0~

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: iHouse has finally died... RIP  (Read 797 times)

Fan of Zappa

• Helpful Rating: 1
iHouse has finally died... RIP
« on: January 01, 2016, 05:31:00 am »

I woke up yesterday morning to find my HA system not working. with a nice square box generated by Windows10 stating iHouse has stopped working. (as if I already didn't know!) I restarted... same message. I reinstalled. It seemed to install fine. then, first time running... same thing. And this was all the canned files that came with the install (0.9.6.7). I use a laptop solely for HA so, without HA it was useless now. I rest the laptop to original configuration (out of the box, Windows 8.0). Reinstalled iHouse. SAME THING!!!  (cB) I grabbed another laptop with iHouse as a client (used solely for iSpy) Set it up and it worked for about half an hour.... then the SAME THING!  (cB). Needless to say I am furious! Has any other iHouse users had this problem? Let me also add that it doesn't matter if the CM15A is present or not.

Bob

ITguy

• Helpful Rating: 2
Re: iHouse has finally died... RIP
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 06:43:22 am »

If you can get iHouse to stay running for a few minutes, change the logging level to get detail.  There may be some clues in there.  Also, you might check the Windows Event Viewer to see if there's anything there.  If no clues from either of those, save your iHouse config files, then reinstall iHouse over top of the existing install - it might be a corrupted file.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 24
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 06:51:18 am »

I don't usually run iHouse but do have it installed on Windows 10 64 bit.
It isn't in the Program Files(x86) folder As I found Windows 7 and upward constantly changed the security settings (read write permissions) for that root drive.
Windows 10 64 bit is the worse as simple restarts were causing issues with programs in that folder especially those using XML files.
I fired up ihouse and will leave it running to see if it stops working.
However I suspect if you have it installed in Program files (x86) folder that is the issue.
If you have installed the latest updates for Windows 8 I'm sure the security features were added to it too.
 (Chr)
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Want to know what is in the works?
Thats the place to Look!

Fan of Zappa

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 02:23:15 pm »

Tuice,
Logging is always checked. I will check the Windows Event Viewer, Thanks. Since Windows 7, I have always installed my (Toy) programs in "c:\Programs", as I was bitten once by the security features and have learned my lesson. Backups have been a mainstay since my early HA days..

I would hate to lose iHouse as a HA platform, It is so straight forward, flexible and powerful. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 24
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 02:54:14 pm »

I haven't tested my 32 bit  Windows 10 PC as it is at my off grid location.
I suspect Microsoft will adopt the security features of the 64 bit os to the 32 bit as well if they haven't already done it.
I did notice a windows update last night so that also may have caused your issues.
It should also be noted that my ihouse install has been running without issue since I last posted. :)!
you should install your toys to "C:" avoid the "program files" folder altogether. I originally had stated you could simply change the read write permissions but with Windows 10 I find them getting reset occasionally so I can no longer in good conscious state that.
I also don't expect logging to show anything in this situation but I've been wrong before.
 (Chr)
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Want to know what is in the works?
Thats the place to Look!

Fan of Zappa

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 06:16:15 pm »

I reset everything to Windows 8. Reinstalled everything. It has been working fine for three days now. I will keep you informed as I move ahead.
Pages: [1]