Tuicemen.com

Advanced search  

News:

Alex10  (Build 1.5.3.5 ) is now  available for download ~:0~

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Low Power PCs  (Read 14219 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 24
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
Re: Low Power PCs
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 07:06:31 am »

soxfan1966
I look forward to reading your experiences in getting this setup.
I don't expect the thin client to work as your hoping with out some modifications.
Hopefully it is just some software and driver installs that are needed.
 (Chr)
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

soxfan1966

• PCC Tester
  • Helpful Rating: 1
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 08:07:21 pm »

Alrighty...

Here is my update so far...  My HP ThinClient T5730 came in the other day.  I spent a little time getting it up and running just from a Windows and home network perspective.

Over the last 2 days, when I had a chance, I have installed X10's ActiveHome Pro along with my CM19A (waiting for the CM15A to arrive from X10 in the next day or two) as well as my VA12A USB Video Capture device (connected to a VR36A).

So far everyting - with one exception noted below - is up and running.  I can run AHP and activate lights etc no problem.  I also have updated the client with tyhe latest Miscrosoft Updates (including IE 8) which kinda sapped my available flash drive space (down to 375 MB out of 1.9 GB, there is also 59 MB available in the RAMDrive).

I have not yet installed .Net 4.0 nor PCC - waiting for the CM15A for that part.

The one issue I am having is getting the VA12A to work.  I have it installed, it appears under my Hardware Configuration under the "Sound, video and game controllers" as "X10 VA12A Video Capture" using the 2.87.0.33 version of the driver (the xp32 version).

But I do not get any video in AHP - and that also reports that it cannot connect to the deivce.  I tried using Yamcam and it also cannot connect.  There is a yellow "?" under the Other Devices which I am not sure what that is but it appears to be related to the x10 video USB deivce.

I have tried Uninstalling , rebooting and then installing again with no luck.  Plan on working on this again tomorrow.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 05:18:35 am »

The VA12 was created to work with Vista and up.
The VA11 was for older versions of windows you may wish to look at the software download page for va12 drivers for XP.
There are 2 different drives perhaps you need the drivers not intended for vista and newer.
http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm
 (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

soxfan1966

• PCC Tester
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 07:13:53 am »

After some additional playing around I found the problem...  The X10 drivers were installed correctly, the problem was with Embedded XP.  Basically, they take out a lot of stuff most people are not going to use to make the footprint smaller.  Then they have compartmentalized Add Ons for things you can install separately.

I found that there was an Add On for Web Cam support.  Once I download, installed and rebooted (there is also a step to commit the changes to the flash drive before rebooting) everything worked great...

So now I have AHP running, with camera support, as well as Yawcam.  I am still waiting for my CM15A to arrive so I can swap that out for the CM19A and then I am going to add PCC.

I also have Windows Remote Desktop running on the thin client now, and am connecting to it via my laptop upstairs.  So I dont even need a monitor attached to that device once I get it up and going.

I was also able to free up some additional space on the Flash drive by removing a few components that I do not need (things like Windows Media Player, Word Viewer, and some Citrix related stuff).

I am hoping to get some time to do more of this over the weekend as well...  Will post more results later...

soxfan1966

• PCC Tester
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 06:07:25 pm »

My CM15A arrived today.  Got it hooked up to my thin client and replaced the CM19A.  It seems to be working ok.  I was even able to install and use ActivePhone Pro from both my home WiFi and via a 3g connection.

I did have an unrelated problem - one of my cameras was buried in the snow we got here last week and now is not working.

I want to install PCc but do so I have to first install .Net framework.  Does it need to be the full version or are there just some components required ?  If the whole thing then I think I need to get some more "disk" space to install it on.  Maybe a usb flash drive ...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 06:15:44 pm »

You will need the full install of net 4 as that includes all the previous builds. :(
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

soxfan1966

• PCC Tester
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 06:39:09 pm »

Think I will find an inexpensive usb flash drive and try installing some stuff on that.

Also, I have Windows Remote Desktop enable on the Thin Client.   I installed an Android app on my Kindle Fire which lets me connect to the Thin Client .  Pretty cool...

soxfan1966

• PCC Tester
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 05:58:58 pm »

Here's the update for today ...

Didnt have as much time as I hoped due to some unanticipated network issues (my router decided to #%*! the bed on the one day my wife needed to work from home, so I spent much of the late morning getting that all up and running).

So I bought an 8 GB flash drive yesterday and managed to get it connected to the Thin Client.  After some failed attempts to get the .Net framework to install to it I did some web searches and found an interesting tool called "Junction".  It basically lets you move a windows folder somewhere else (say, to a bigger drive on a flash drive). You can find more info here: ...//blog.andrewbeacock.com/2010/01/how-to-use-junction-if-you-want.html

I had to format the Flash Drive to NTFS for this to work but that was pretty easy.  I also ended up modifying the TEMP and TMP Environment Variables to the D:\ drive (which is my 8 GB Flash Drive), and I also moved the IE Temporary Internet Files there.

I am attempting to create a Swap File on the Flash Drive as well (by default the Think Client has this disabled - my first attempt failed because I forgot to commit the change and rebooted and it put it on the C:\ drive, I am typing this now as I wait for the client to reboot).

I was able to install the .Net 4 framework to the Thin Client using the C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net folder redirection to D:\Microsoft.Net and it worked, though I did end up with a Virtual Memory error part way thru (this was before I moved the TEMP and TMP vars and tried the swap file) so I may need to re-install it.

I also downloaded PcCompanion (i.e Pcc) and installed that to the D:\ drive.  It installed OK but when I try and run it the icon appears in the bottom right tool bar for a second or two and then goes away.

I am wondering if the .Net stuff did not install clean (even though the process finished and said it did) or if perhaps there are some other Windows or misc components that I am missing (since this is Windows Embedded) and I may need to install some more stuff...

Thoughts on that part?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 06:11:49 pm »

It is most likely a net framework issue you may need to uninstall net framework then find a net framework clean up tool and run it before you reinstall.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

ITguy

• Helpful Rating: 2
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 05:34:09 am »

I am wondering if the .Net stuff did not install clean
You might also try installing from the download version of the .Net installer instead of the "install from web" version.  I've had multiple instances where the online version didn't install everything.

ITguy

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 05:45:51 am »

I am wondering if the .Net stuff did not install clean
You might also try installing from the download version of the .Net installer instead of the "install from web" version.  I've had multiple instances where the online version didn't install everything.

ITguy
I have to agree. This applies to every thing but more so for big installs like Net.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

soxfan1966

• PCC Tester
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 05:43:34 pm »

So today I had a chance to do an an uninstall, cleanup and re-install of the .Net 4 stuff.  It seemed to install cleanly.  I even installed a few updates.  However, still cannot get Pcc to load.  Icon appears in the toolbar but when I hover over it it goes away.

Is there any kind of startup log that Pcc makes while it's loading ?

Anyone know of a way to test if .Net is installed and working correctly ?

KENRAD

• PCC Tester
  • Helpful Rating: 4
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 07:38:28 pm »

I don't know if it is possible in xp embedded, but you might want to check the event viewer in control panel under administrative tools, if it is crashing in windows, windows might be logging the event that is occurring.  I have done this a few times and Tuicemen was able to point me in the right direction and get me up and running. 

(Chr)  Ken   
I have no clue how to do this but its a lot of fun trying.
Win 8.1, win 7 64 and 32 bit,
XTBR, CM15A, ZTroller
PCC, T.A.C ,HS3, Nitrogenlogic remote, Bluewatch(BT), Bluewatch(WIFI), all plug ins
Microsoft kinect,
Nitrogen logic depth controllers
Phillips Hue, Global Cache, Hyperion, Kodi

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 03:50:05 am »

Which version of PCC are you trying to load?
Some machines for what ever reason are looking for a setup file.
Which in older versions didn't have one (maybe a net 4 thing) the latest PCC 4.0.3.4 believe has a basic settings file included.
Also PCC wants to install itself in the program files folder this maybe a issue for XP embedded, try installing to a different location
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

soxfan1966

• PCC Tester
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 11:40:49 am »

I have the latest version of Pcc and I installed it to the Flash Drive attached to the think Client (D:\Pcc) and not in the C:\Program Files folder...  Would this cause an issue?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6