News:

Alex10  (Build 1.5.3.5 ) is now  available for download ~:0~

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: kinect  (Read 4794 times)

KENRAD

• Helpful Rating: 4
kinect
« on: March 03, 2013, 04:17:38 pm »

I have been looking at the kinect for energy saving measures in my home with 5 kids it seems that a light or a TV is always left on some where,  I guess I am just as guilty with leaving my computer running when I'm not home and seeing that I have multiple clients for my home automation system it can really be a huge energy consumption when they are running and no one is home.  Some of the things that I have been doing with the kinect is creating zones in the areas where my clients are located and then using the WOL commands in PCC to boot or shut down the clients based on occupancy.  This is just a trial now but I hope to have it implemented soon.  I also usethe brightness levels of the room to control when lights can be activated.  I found this to be a much better solution than using the day and night settings in Ihouse because it can actually measure how bright it is in the room, so when you have a overcast day and you need the lights on they will still work during the day.  Some of the other things that I have been doing is using the PCC user command to make announcements such as email and agenda readings.  When I sit at my dest the desk lamp comes on and PCC checks my emails.  In my bedroom when I enter the closet between 6:00 and 10:00 in the morning Pcc checks my emails and agenda.  before the kinect I was having PCC reaad the agenda at a set time but that was a bummer when you wanted to sleep in   (RoFL)  I am hoping shortly to get a video or two on you tube so users can see the kinect in action.  

(Chr)  Ken
I have no clue how to do this but its a lot of fun trying.
Win 8.1, win 7 64 and 32 bit,
XTBR, CM15A, ZTroller
PCC, T.A.C ,HS3, Nitrogenlogic remote, Bluewatch(BT), Bluewatch(WIFI), all plug ins
Microsoft kinect,
Nitrogen logic depth controllers
Phillips Hue, Global Cache, Hyperion, Kodi

KENRAD

Re: kinect
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 05:38:06 pm »

Well after talking with Mike the developer from nitrogen logic kinect controllers he is starting to look at another request of mine to tap a little more of the abilities from the kinect.  The microsoft kinect has four microphones built into it and being able to use those for VR in PCC would be another great add on.  For years I have thought about adding a whole house microphone setup for my VR, but never did, for a few reasons to get a reliable setup it could run into a lot of $$$  and then I'm not a audio engineer at all (but I can work an IPOD)     (RoFL)   but with the kinect controllers sending the microphone info over the network you will be able to have VR in any room that also has occupancy sensing.  I even talked many times with Knightrider at the X10 forums many times trying to find a good way to implement this but it never came to reality.  This just keeps getting more interesting. 

(Chr)  Ken
XTBR, CM15A, ZTroller
PCC, T.A.C ,HS3, Nitrogenlogic remote, Bluewatch(BT), Bluewatch(WIFI), all plug ins
Microsoft kinect,

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 24
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 06:07:45 am »

I've recently attached a Xbox 360 Kinects sensor (camera) to my PCC development PC.
I'll look at ways to add some of the possibilities of this sensor to PCC in the upcoming months.
Users will need the Kinects SDK to use this sensor on a PC.
Also a PC running Windows 7 or newer is required.
The Kinects for Windows doesn't require the SDK (or so I've been told)

If you have XP official drivers won't work however you can get drivers from OpenKinect
I've yet to test this as I only have XP on a Old laptop now and an embedded version on a thin client.

Loading the SDK my PC detected the Kinects and loaded its microphone as the default.
From what I've read the microphone array in the Kinects is suppose to provide a better setup for VR.
I wasn't sure if anything special would need to be added to PCC for better VR with the Kinects.

On firing up PCC with the Kinects connected there was one noticeable change.
I tried a voice command and there was no response. ::) :`)
Thinking I had said the wrong attention Phrase I tried again, nope!
I opened the settings and options page and discovered my original attention Phrase was what I had originally tried.
I returned to the Main UI and tried the correct Phrase and PCC replied. `:) ~:0~
Stumped I restarted PCC and tried VR again.
Seems the Kinects microphone is a little slower to connect.
However once it is connected the VR ability of PCC is much more accurate ~:0~
I also don't need to speak very loud for it to recognize my commands ~:0~

Doing some tests I found I don't even need to be facing the Kinects for it to hear me.
In fact I can be behind the Kinects and get good recognition.
Next I tried playing a MP3 and saying the attention phrase.
To my surprise it detected me over the music.
  The microsoft kinect has four microphones built into it and being able to use those for VR in PCC would be another great add on. 
It appears there is very little that needs to be done for this.
However I'll dig a little more into this feature of the Kinects to see if there is any extras mentioned in the SDK.
I do see some things for improved VR that can be added to PCC but I noticed these before using the Kinects.

Bottom Line:
The Kinects makes a awesome microphone and should work with any VR program.
It may not be worth rushing out to getting one just yet for PCC.
However I see it as a valuable piece of hardware that I intend to incorporate into PCC.
 (Chr)
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 11:46:25 am »

Doing some more playing with the microphones in the Kinect I found it is possible to detect the direction from which the sound was coming from.
I'm not sure how this could be incorporated into PCC but it has got my mind spinning! (RoFL)

I've downloaded a few sample codes for the Kinects but so far I've just been playing with the microphone stuff.
 (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

KENRAD

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 03:17:09 pm »

Doing some more playing with the microphones in the Kinect I found it is possible to detect the direction from which the sound was coming from.
I'm not sure how this could be incorporated into PCC but it has got my mind spinning! (RoFL)

I've downloaded a few sample codes for the Kinects but so far I've just been playing with the microphone stuff.
 (Chr)

I Like The microphone Idea For Pcc I Have Been Playing A Little With CastleOS That Uses The Kinect And The Accuracy Is Dead On.  Also The Range That It Picks Up From Is Really Impressive I Can Get Accurate Vr At 20 Feet Easily.  One  Other Thing I Was Thinking WithKinects Is Would It Be Possible To Have Multiple Kinects On One PC For Vr CastleOSHas It And Could Make An Easy Be Setup With A Few USB Extensions And A Few Kinects.

(Chr) ken
XTBR, CM15A, ZTroller
Microsoft kinect,

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 04:55:13 pm »

Would It Be Possible To Have Multiple Kinects On One PC For Vr CastleOSHas It And Could Make An Easy Be Setup With A Few USB Extensions And A Few Kinects.

From what I've seen in samples it should be possible.
It is possible to detect multi Kinects.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

KENRAD

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 05:34:10 pm »

Would It Be Possible To Have Multiple Kinects On One PC For Vr CastleOSHas It And Could Make An Easy Be Setup With A Few USB Extensions And A Few Kinects.

From what I've seen in samples it should be possible.
It is possible to detect multi Kinects.

That would be awesome if the PCC VR with the kinect could support that.  A simple addition on a extra usb card in my server and it could cut down on the number of clients I am running.  I know kinects are a little pricey but in the long run they are aper than PC, and the energy bills that go with them. 

I'm so excited I can barely contain my self  (RoFL)   (RoFL)   :0~   :0~ 

IF PCC got Zwave, Kinect VR, and occupancy it would be the most powerful automation software I've seen yet. 

(Chr)  Ken
XTBR, CM15A, ZTroller
Microsoft kinect,

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 06:15:20 pm »

Since you have more then one Kinect available try connecting at least 2 to one PC.
Then check your sound recording devices to see if the different Kinects display as seen.
If 2 appear test to see if switching from one to the other allows them to be used.
If so you can use an autohotkey script to switch them.
 (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 09:19:13 am »

I've started to play with different samples other then the Voice activation.
There are a number of methods which might be used for occupancy sensing.
I'm not sure which would be the best method to use.
Placement of the Kinects may ultimately dictate that.
Facial and skeleton tracking don't work well for up close detection but that may be related to the sample codes. ::) :`)

The Kinects developer tool box has ready to run samples (No developer knowledge needed to run)
If any one would like to play with these to see what is possible I suggest you down load this.
It has a couple of simple games as well in the C# samples. ;>
 (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

KENRAD

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 12:23:36 pm »

I've started to play with different samples other then the Voice activation.
There are a number of methods which might be used for occupancy sensing.
I'm not sure which would be the best method to use.
Placement of the Kinects may ultimately dictate that.
Facial and skeleton tracking don't work well for up close detection but that may be related to the sample codes. ::) :`)

The Kinects developer tool box has ready to run samples (No developer knowledge needed to run)
If any one would like to play with these to see what is possible I suggest you down load this.
It has a couple of simple games as well in the C# samples. ;>
 (Chr)
Hey T, The PC Does See Multiple Kinects.  Also I Will Download The Developer Took AndSee What Ideas I Can Come Up With.  You Might Want To LoOk At The Nitrogenlogic Site And See What He Did For Occupancy  It Works Really Well With The Exception Of The Added Controller And That The Zones Must Be Square And Not Accessing The Mics

Cheers Ken
Edited to fix quote (readability)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 12:45:24 pm by Tuicemen »
XTBR, CM15A, ZTroller
Microsoft kinect,

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 12:52:51 pm »

I think the zones could be rectangle for windows at least it appears that way to me.
Hey T, The PC Does See Multiple Kinects.
It looked like it would in the sample code I've been going over `:)

Also I Will Download The Developer Took AndSee What Ideas I Can Come Up With.
make sure you get the version that matches the Kinects SDK you have installed.
current version is 1.8 but some of those samples only work with windows 8
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

KENRAD

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 02:10:13 pm »

It Would Be Nice If DoingOccupancy Similar To NitrogeS Stuff If The Zones Could Be ODd Shapes.  And IM Not Sure How CastleOS Is Doing It But It CaN Listen To Multiple Kinect Mics At The Same Time  Which Avoids The Need To Switch Them

(Chr) Ken
XTBR, CM15A, ZTroller
Microsoft kinect,

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 05:10:10 pm »

Well with the new SDK you can use more then one Kinect at the same time and create a true 3d pic of a person.
I'm not able to test that out but I thing one of the samples allowed that.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 08:11:18 am »

I was flipping threw Ebay and noticed a clip on zoom.

http://dx.com/p/xbox-360-zoom-kinect-sensor-range-reduction-adapter-black-149083?Utm_rid=67723936&utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=pcs&utm_campaign=paidshopping&Utm_rid=95527470
Originally I thought these would be useless but on reading up on these they may be the ticket for Kinects mounted to a PC monitor. ::) :`)
They're suppose to allow play in a small room so they allow you to be closer to the Kinect.
I'm wondering if anyone has tried one of these yet?

Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

KENRAD

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 09:11:46 am »

I was flipping threw Ebay and noticed a clip on zoom.

http://dx.com/p/xbox-360-zoom-kinect-sensor-range-reduction-adapter-black-149083?Utm_rid=67723936&utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=pcs&utm_campaign=paidshopping&Utm_rid=95527470
Originally I thought these would be useless but on reading up on these they may be the ticket for Kinects mounted to a PC monitor. ::) :`)
They're suppose to allow play in a small room so they allow you to be closer to the Kinect.
I'm wondering if anyone has tried one of these yet?

ICurrently Use One On The Kinect In My Office.  The Work Really Well Fo Small RLooms

(Chr)  ken
XTBR, CM15A, ZTroller
Microsoft kinect,
Pages: [1] 2