Tuicemen.com

Advanced search  

News:

Alex10  (Build 1.5.3.5 ) is now  available for download ~:0~

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Clearing up the confussion!  (Read 3062 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 24
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
Clearing up the confussion!
« on: December 27, 2011, 08:05:34 am »

iHouse is not a project of mine!
True I did add some code to help with issues users were experiancing while TJ was unable to.
True my projects work well with it, but I try to make this possible with all my programs and apps and for any program.
Helping with any program is what I'll try to do given the chance, it does not make it a project of mine!
 (Chr)
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

KENRAD

• PCC Tester
  • Helpful Rating: 4
Re: Clearing up the confussion!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 06:07:05 pm »

Hey, T

Im sorry if I caused any confusion because I reference to Ihouse along with PCC and Bluewatch on many forums mainly because my set up is always one communication with the other.  And I love how well they play together.  I didn't mean to confuse anyone but I know I reference to the three together alot

(Chr) ken
I have no clue how to do this but its a lot of fun trying.
Win 8.1, win 7 64 and 32 bit,
XTBR, CM15A, ZTroller
PCC, T.A.C ,HS3, Nitrogenlogic remote, Bluewatch(BT), Bluewatch(WIFI), all plug ins
Microsoft kinect,
Nitrogen logic depth controllers
Phillips Hue, Global Cache, Hyperion, Kodi

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 06:32:19 am »

Hey, T

Im sorry if I caused any confusion because I reference to Ihouse along with PCC and Bluewatch on many forums mainly because my set up is always one communication with the other.  And I love how well they play together.  I didn't mean to confuse anyone but I know I reference to the three together alot

(Chr) ken
I don't believe you caused any of this.
And even if it was true there is no need to be sorry!
The fact is I jump in when I see potential in something and start recommending it.
Users now know I like to develope and code H.A. software.
The issue is most just think I promote only my own software.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

KENRAD

• PCC Tester
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 06:41:57 am »

I dont see it as you promoting your own software.  I know that you helped code Ihouse, but also I definitely know that I have discussed with you the update for BVC and that you offered to help there as well.  AS I see it your just helping all of us to make a better HA system It doesn't matter who the programmer is we all probably have tried every ha software and other little program out there looking for improvements to our setups.

WE LOVE YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS TO HOME AUTOMATION, SO DON"T LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENT 

(Chr)
XTBR, CM15A, ZTroller
PCC, T.A.C ,HS3, Nitrogenlogic remote, Bluewatch(BT), Bluewatch(WIFI), all plug ins
Microsoft kinect,

Hawk1

• Helpful Rating: 3
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 07:32:42 am »

User's of any kind of software will use what ever software meets their needs.  A good author of any kind will listen to the users that use their product and tries to give the users what they are asking for if possible.  If the author doesn't meet their needs any more then it is very likely that they will move on and find something that does.  There is thousands of programs out there that are not being used any more because of this very thing.

And it really doesn't matter if you have a full time job and program on the side, or any thing else that keeps you from programming, they are not going to sit around and wait for authors to update their software.  There going to be looking for something else that will satisfy their needs.

I am always looking for something better, different, unique or that one program that does everything.  So far I have found nothing better then the software I'm using. (iHouse, PCC, BlueIris)  I used to use BVC and bought the full program but, since it can not run programs I switched to iHouse and PCC to handle this.  Not that I don't like BVC (i love BVC) but it's not suiting my needs anymore.  Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.   :)
"I don't know what I'm doing but, I'm having fun doing it!"
Windows Xp Home
Ihouse, BVC, PCC, Blue Iris
Cm15A Transceiver
V572 Receiver
XTB Amplifier
XTB-IIR Coupler, Amplifier, Repeater

KENRAD

• PCC Tester
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 07:42:54 am »

User's of any kind of software will use what ever software meets their needs.  A good author of any kind will listen to the users that use their product and tries to give the users what they are asking for if possible.  If the author doesn't meet their needs any more then it is very likely that they will move on and find something that does.  There is thousands of programs out there that are not being used any more because of this very thing.

And it really doesn't matter if you have a full time job and program on the side, or any thing else that keeps you from programming, they are not going to sit around and wait for authors to update their software.  There going to be looking for something else that will satisfy their needs.

I am always looking for something better, different, unique or that one program that does everything.  So far I have found nothing better then the software I'm using. (iHouse, PCC, BlueIris)  I used to use BVC and bought the full program but, since it can not run programs I switched to iHouse and PCC to handle this.  Not that I don't like BVC (i love BVC) but it's not suiting my needs anymore.  Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.   :)

I second that Hawk1

I also Love BVC but it is exactly like you said if it stops meeting their needs and stops growing or developing users will look to another solution.  I do understand that Bill is busy with his job and family as we all are but when it comes down to it he can't blame the users or other programmers for filling those voids and helping the end user.

(Chr)
XTBR, CM15A, ZTroller
Microsoft kinect,

ITguy

• Helpful Rating: 2
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 01:59:59 pm »

I do understand that Bill is busy with his job and family as we all are but when it comes down to it he can't blame the users or other programmers for filling those voids and helping the end user.

I think we should also consider paid vs. free!  If I pay for something (and I consider a donation as "pay" if I am required to do it in order to fully use the product), then I have higher expectations for prompt updates and fixes than if the software is totally free!  Since we had to "pay" Bill to use the unrestricted version of BVC, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a higher level of service than with a product like iHouse, which is totally free!

On the other hand, HA has a limited customer base.  Is it reasonable to expect that our one-time small donation should get us free updates forever??  I'd like that (after all, I'm "tight"), but deep down, I have a nagging little voice that keeps saying "That's not fair to the developer either"!  You'll never see Microsoft giving us free copies of Win7 just because we bought XP!

So maybe the mid-point in fairness would be for the developer to provide fixes for the original product running on the original operating system on which the product was sold, forever.  But if the developer has to create a major new version of his product for a new or different operating system, then existing users have to pay an "upgrade fee" (hopefully discounted from the full price) to get the "latest and greatest".  This would get the developer some additional income for his additional efforts, while keeping the existing customers from feeling they've been abandoned.

Right now, as a "paid" BVC user, I'm feeling abandoned.  And I've moved on by finding replacement products to do those things I bought BVC to do.  Too bad - had Bill just given us a "statement of intention" regarding his plans, I'd have stuck around - and maybe ponied up additional money for an upgrade.  But utter silence falls under the old "actions speak louder than words" rule.  In this case, no action (or words either) made me feel abandoned, so I moved on.   I don't think I'll ever go back.

Just my two cents.

ITguy

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 02:16:58 pm »

This thread wasn't meant to attack any person or developer.
I had originaly added this disclaimer to the X10Dispatch  section in my first post there.
Something that should have been done here as well but I didn't expect to get as involved with this program.
At least not to the exstent that someone would think it was a project of mine.
But if you think that because I submitted some code, suggestions, or graphics that some thing is a project of mine then I have hundreds on the go.
 (RoFL)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!
Pages: [1]