Tuicemen.com

Advanced search  

News:

Share your Automated House and Ideas in the Members Section! :0~

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tornado Weather Triggers  (Read 4002 times)

Hawk1

• Helpful Rating: 3
Tornado Weather Triggers
« on: April 27, 2011, 08:30:51 am »

Hey Tuicemen, wondering if this might work it's way into iHouse or PCC.  Living in Oklahoma USA, the past couple of days has got thinking about this.  Maybe get tornado warnings and watches from where ever you get the weather stuff from and trigger a macro to yell "git to the freakin cellar" or set off a siren!    ::)
"I don't know what I'm doing but, I'm having fun doing it!"
Windows Xp Home
Ihouse, BVC, PCC, Blue Iris
Cm15A Transceiver
V572 Receiver
XTB Amplifier
XTB-IIR Coupler, Amplifier, Repeater

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 24
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
Re: Tornado Weather Triggers
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 11:11:47 am »

Since I don't live in the States this would be hard for me to figure out or test this in iHouse given where it gets its weather info.
However with PCC this is already possible!
Using the weather Plug-in it is possible to trigger x10 events based on any weather condition.
The most accurate is using a high quality personal weather station but you can get the info from the net.
The Weather Exchange free software from Ambient weather creates a CVS file which the weather plug-in can read and trigger events.
I had created a simular user control for iHouse which TJ never added into an offical release.
I'm not sure I still have that code now,
However the weather plug-in will run without PCC running.
You could have it send a X10 command which ihouse or any program can see and trigger a event from that!
Yes  weather conditions like tornadoes are coded into WeatherExchange  which is added to the CVS file if that condition develops!
 (Chr)
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

ITguy

• Helpful Rating: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 02:19:45 pm »

Hi Guys,

I think I would worry about the possible delay in getting the warning.  If I understand it correctly, the weather function is a "pull" - that is,  PCC goes out every so often and pulls the new info.  Unless you had this set to an extremely short interval, couldn't there be a minute or so delay between when the warning was issued and when PCC picks it up?  No big deal for a forecast, but on a Tornado warning........BIG DEAL!

Maybe use the weather radio idea from the x10 forums http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=19691.0 and have it trigger a powerflash, which would then have PCC do an immediate update.  Tuicemen, is that possible?  Or would just having it speak the weather automatically trigger the update? 

The weather radio I got from RadioShack not only lets me enter my county code, but also lets me select which watches or warnings I want to trigger an alarm.  If you set this to only trigger on Tornado Warning, then you'd only trigger the "hit the cellar" alert for that one situation.

Kinda thinking out loud here, but the delay thing bothers me.

ITguy

Hawk1

• Helpful Rating: 3
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 03:02:18 pm »

Thanks ITguy!  That would kind of put a damper on things!  We don't have a siren out here in the country, so we have to rely on tv/radio/computer for things like that.  During the day it's not such a big thing, but at night when were sleeping that a different cookie.

I might have to look into some other ideas for this.  thanks guys.   (Chr)
"I don't know what I'm doing but, I'm having fun doing it!"
Windows Xp Home
Ihouse, BVC, PCC, Blue Iris
Cm15A Transceiver
V572 Receiver
XTB Amplifier
XTB-IIR Coupler, Amplifier, Repeater

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 03:43:43 pm »

True PCC and iHouse uses a pull !
This is why I stated a personal weather station was the best option and use it with the PCC weather Plug-in X10WeatherWatch.
These update a CSV txt file regularly (you set the interval) and the info is for your location not just your county!
X10WeatherWatcher will read this CVS file every min.
These new personal weather stations have all the stuff that your local TV or Radio Station use.
Even the cheep ones are far more accurate for your area!
I've been using one of these cheepies at my cottage for a few years now and trust it more then the radio.
I also have a cheep temperature, humidity only one that interfaces with my pc at home here.
I'll soon update to a real good solar one as these have proved themselves to me over and over.

The cheeper route is the weather radio  and have it trigger a powerflash.
However having PCC do a update wouldn't be any good as most internet forecasts aren't by the min.
You'd be better off having PCC just send a Weather Sound Warning.
 (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 04:00:36 pm »

Personal weather Stations can be found all over the internet and can range considerably in price.
Oregon makes one I'm considering only because I've had good luck with this brand and it is expandible!
If one were to look I'm sure you could find it cheeper! ;>
 (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

ITguy

• Helpful Rating: 2
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 04:59:12 pm »

I'd stay away from anything by LaSalle.  Lousy customer service.  I have one that I suspect the cable (simple telephone cable) between the wind sensor and the transmitter unit has a broken wire.  They would not give me the "pin outs" for the cable because it's "proprietary"!   (cB)  Their suggestion - buy a new sensor/cable combo for $40!  I don't think so!  I'll take the darn thing down and put a volt/ohm-meter to it instead!

ITguy

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 05:19:23 pm »

A lot of these units use a simple telephone cable for the wind sensor to transmitter.
For the most part these work OK.
I think the unit I have now at the cottage is Lasal but I could be wrong. ::) :`)
To bad the pin outs weren't the same as other units! I discovered that when trying to use a older wind sensor!
I didn't want to climb the tower to swap it out.  ::) :`)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 12:22:03 pm »

I've been playing with WeatherExchange today.
I discovered this may be easy to do with just it.
You can set up WeatherExchange to trigger sounds ,exe,bat file to start based on a number of conditions even national advisories and alerts (US only (cB))
You can set it to check at intervals from 1 min to every 24 hours
For anyone outside the US you won't get national alerts or advisories
However you can set it up yo act on just your weather station or all you have configured.
As soon as the value falls outside the range you put in, it will trigger a Sound, exe or bat file. `:)

Note: I found Batch files didn't work corectly however creating a script with autohot key and converting it into a exe worked.
 (Chr)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:26:06 pm by Tuicemen »
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

starman

• Helpful Rating: 0
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 08:44:53 pm »

Speaking of weather, Tuicemen, I seem to have a problem with version 9.6.2 weather updates. I get a error message about some connection problem. I will try to catch it next time. Any ideas is appreciated. I did not have this with 9.5.9

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 02:23:26 am »

This is fixed for the next release it was ihouse displaying a connect erro instead of just logging.
it was noticable in 9.5.9 I'm told as well but many users didn't experiance it.
I hope to have 9.6.3 released before months end as testers have been running it a while now without issues.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 04:34:30 pm »

With the newest iHouse version and weather page being reconfigured, the option of weather alerts from it apear they won't happen any time soon. :(
However since iHouse has stoped speeking the weather I've been looking into using the same source for info in PCC.
The next build will have some sort of weather alert notification using this source.
The end user should be able to trigger PCC to read the weather and fetch an alert if one is available.
A issue with PCC may arise if more then 1 alert is reported however iHouse will display the info.
How well this will work for tornado warnings will depend on when the user checks the weather.
 (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 06:19:42 pm »

Just abit of a update for this.
Most weather site that accept info from user based weather stations allow for 18 second (rapid fire) updates. `:) ~:0~
This means PCC can get a very accurate updated weather statement. Currently  PCC auto checks every hour as the min time but anytime you use the weather command to read the forcast it gets new info. So you can use a power flash to trigger a Weather or Alert fetch.
I'll also be updating PCC to do a more frequent pull if users wish.

It should be noted that Wunderground (which PCC can use) allows for rapid fire updates :)!
 (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!
Pages: [1]