Tuicemen.com

Advanced search  

News:

Alex10  (Build 1.5.3.5 ) is now  available for download ~:0~

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Frustrating trying to find the right information  (Read 3734 times)

Amie

• Helpful Rating: 0
Frustrating trying to find the right information
« on: April 11, 2011, 01:31:35 pm »

I am extremely frustrated, so please forgive me for that.  It is not this site's fault, I found your site and the PCC software.  My frustration comes from the inability to find the software I need to accomplish an automation task I need.  I think PCC might be able to do this, but I can't find the exact 'piece' that I am looking for.

I need to be able to send a text message to my phone when something is triggered, like an X10, or a temperature monitor, etc.  If I could find the Command line code for sending a text message, I'd be done.  I called X10, and was told that I needed ActiveHome Pro, which I just installed.  However, from what I can tell, I still need  the Command line code that I originally needed in order to send the text message.  So I am still at square 1...minus $70.

If anyone could help me out or give me some direction as to what software I need, I would really appreciate it.  I plan to send the ActiveHome Pro back, unless it really can send a text message.

Thank you,
Amie

Knightrider

• Helpful Rating: 5
  • Home Automator since 1988
    • This Automated House
Re: Frustrating trying to find the right information
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 02:21:39 pm »

I've been doing this with AHP and smart macros since day one.  If you spent $70, did you get the complete package?  A text message is just like sending an email to your phone number (xxx-xxx-xxxx@yourphonecarrier.xxx). 

Since this is the Tuicemen forum, I'll let Mr. T chime in on how to send the text with his software.
Tuicemen Software picks up where AHP left off!

Satisfied BVC user since November 2007

Proud Supporter of Xenia Kids and Robots. 
Introducing kids to high technology and teamwork since 2009.

Amie

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:18:01 pm »

I've been doing this with AHP and smart macros since day one.  If you spent $70, did you get the complete package?  A text message is just like sending an email to your phone number (xxx-xxx-xxxx@yourphonecarrier.xxx). 

Since this is the Tuicemen forum, I'll let Mr. T chime in on how to send the text with his software.

Thank you for your reply.  I am fully aware of xxx@yourphonecarrier.com, but doing this from Windows command line or from a program is where I fall short. 

I am having a difficult time finding information, besides what is listed on http://www.angelfire.com/in2/ontkoi/X10AHP/PcCompanion.html, as to whether PcC will help me out with this or not.  I installed it and it is the only thing that has made me smile about all of this mess.  I got the voice command 'talking' and when I closed the program,  the pitch and speed changed to very low and slow.  The program was closed but the voice continued to talk.  I haven't rebooted yet, so my computer is still talking to me when I turn the volume up.  I can't tell what she is saying, but I think she's telling me to throw the computer out the window.  ;-)

lodtrack

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 03:47:32 am »

If you have AHP "smart macros" it allows you to send emails upon a trigger you specify. Using the cell number and "company".com as address should work?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 24
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 04:44:14 am »

As others have stated AHP will do this as will PC companion.
However both programs require you to set up your email information first.

It has been ages since I played with this.
Set up your outgoing email settings in the email options. (only one to address is permited.)
Next go to x10 & commandline settings and select event triggers
In the event triggers window go to email and set the x10 address you wish to activate the send email.
PCC sends a text file as the message so you'll need to create one
PCC will find it with the find text button click the plus button that will add the email for that x10 signal.
Save your setttings and restart PCC.
As for PCC reverting to a slow voice and low volume on shutdown I believe it uses the old settings.
A restart of PCC should fix it.
Double check the voice settings to make sure they didn't get moved.
Some times Murphy lets us know here is there in funny ways! ;>
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:45:22 pm by Tuicemen »
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

Knightrider

• Helpful Rating: 5
  • Home Automator since 1988
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 07:48:27 am »

OK, since we've got two solutions going on in the same thread, I just want to chime in on the AHP route that it's not a command line option to send email, but the "email notification" option is listed in a drop down menu under "advanced option", but i'm pretty sure that you have to have smart macros installed.  Without smart macros, PCC is the only viable option.
Tuicemen Software picks up where AHP left off!

Satisfied BVC user since November 2007

Proud Supporter of Xenia Kids and Robots. 
Introducing kids to high technology and teamwork since 2009.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 09:28:28 am »

I'm not even sure you could do it via a command line ??? ::)  :`)
Thats beyond what I want to try!
 (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Amie

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 07:14:51 pm »

I'm not even sure you could do it via a command line ??? ::)  :`)
Thats beyond what I want to try!
 (Chr)

Funny...didn't you write PcC?  I would think that at the lowest level, it would be written from the command line, right?  I'd be thrilled if I can figured that out, but it seems way too complicated.  I've gotten as far as knowing that I need to use the shell:sento command.  But I will stop researching as soon as I find ANY solution...I don't care at this point how I get it done.

Okay, I'm going to try both methods mentioned here and see which one works best for me.  And yes, I have the smart macro software.  They sent me 6 different software packages...their installation is cumbersome, at best.  I would have rather spent $5 to receive a CD and not have to go through figuring out what to download. 

On the bright side, my machine stopped talking.  ;-)

lodtrack

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 02:51:29 am »

The smart macro route is simple and works flawlessly....

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 04:09:27 am »

Yes I did create PCC.
PCC is writen in Visual Basic although there are some aspects that mimic commandline not all do.
I think your looking a vbscript.
As lodtrack stated the smart macros route is the simplest.
the only draw back I found is AHP doesn't always send the message using the same method.
Sometimes it uses the x10 server other times it uses smtp even if you specify which way to send.
That may have been fixed with the newest release! ::) :`)
Thats not a biggy for most users.
 (Chr)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:25:56 am by Tuicemen »
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!
Pages: [1]