Tuicemen.com

Advanced search  

News:

Alex10  (Build 1.5.3.5 ) is now  available for download ~:0~

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Disaster from Start to Finish... help! :) (RESOLVED)  (Read 165 times)

smf4ever

• Helpful Rating: 0
Disaster from Start to Finish... help! :) (RESOLVED)
« on: October 01, 2017, 11:01:08 am »

So.. Using Windows 10 (Build 1703)
I install the Program, no issues.
First run, I change the port (and yes, I am using a static IP)
close the program and re-open
Click on "Setup"   Click on "Start Bridge" (as I get an "you need the bridge running to add devices").. and get the error "Unable to access jarfile C:\Alex10\HA-Bridge.jar"  So, I close the program and launch the HA-Bridge.jar file manually.

Reopen Alex10.. Sometimes it sees the bridge running, sometime not.. to close.. re-open (when working, it sees version 4.5.6)
Now, I click on Setup again, and get  "Error reading ha-bridge configuration file"
ok
Now when trying to add devices, I get a .net error (to either Close, or OK).. if OK.. it shows up in the drop down list for currently configured, but never appears on the main Alex screen. If close.. Alex closes...

I am at a loss as to what to do.. now here is the really odd part..  Last evening.. through constant random trying.. I did get this to work.. Today I tried adding one more device and that took out all the other devices, so i am back to square one.

Please let me know if you need any other info
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:36:05 pm by smf4ever »

smf4ever

Re: Disaster from Start to Finish... help! :)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 11:46:28 am »

Ok.. Found the magic.. but still have a small issue..

So.. Install.. open, set port.. close.. run .jar.. open.. see error... close..  Rename config file.. reopen again... add devices and all good..

Now.. I just need Alexa to refind all the devices (as they are all now in the HA bridge without an issue.

smf4ever

Re: Disaster from Start to Finish... help! :)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 01:35:47 pm »

Ok.. everything is happy.. I am leaving these posts up in case someone else that has similar issues as me will see something that will make it clear to them as well.
As far as Echo not seeing the devices?.. the bridge is set configured as Localhost (so it resolved on that box and any other, but I needed to manually set that IP on the bridge page... Set it.. discovered devices.. and all set..

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 24
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
Re: Disaster from Start to Finish... help! :) (RESOLVED)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 05:33:32 am »

Glad to see you have it all figured out.
Sorry I was unable to post earlier to help out.
With each version change of the HA-Bridge new issues arise which sometimes aren't discovered right away.
I do try to run the newer versions to help weed out possible issues but keeping on top of this is difficult when I only program part time.
the newest HA-Bridge build( currently in beta test) will require some code changes in Alex10. Other issues have been resolved which should solve some reliability issues some have experienced with Alexa and the Bridge.
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

DoctorG

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 08:43:14 am »

Unfortunately, I fear that there is something fundamentally wrong with this application. It's coding just is not sufficiently robust to work in many situations.

When I run Alex10, it has a message in its window that says "Running HA-Bridge #," and a pop-up reports "Error reading bridge configuration file, yet the HA-Bridge Address setting reports the correct information from the configuration file. If I try to add a device in Alex10, I get a message that HA-Bridge is not running, even though I'm looking at its web page. If I click the button to Start Bridge, I get a popup that says, "I'm having trouble finding the Bridge file" and another, "Unable to access c:\Alex10\HA-Bridge.jar."

I have not set my PC to use a static IP address, but it consistently uses the same one, and it is the value displayed in the HA-Bridge Address Settings panel in Alex10.

Alex 10 reports that it can not find HA-Bridge, even though it is in the Alex10 folder. It was named ha-bridge.jar, not HA-Bridge.jar. I changed it, as I know some non-Windows applications are case-sensitive, but that did not help.

No other java applications on my PC, such as ColdFusion, have any problems. I have no clue whether HA-Bridge is running or not, and I know of no way to stop it or start it, unless the HA-Bridge web server runs.

It seems that at one point I was able to enter the URL localhost:8080 into my browser to open the HA-Bridge web server, but that did not always work. Right now, it does! However, the Alex10 window obscures my full-page browser, and the Alex10 panel can not be moved, another sign of lack of programming depth.

The HA-Bridge web page reports the Webserver IP address as 0.0.0.0 and Port 8080. Is 0.0.0.0 the same as Localhost? I changed that address to correspond to my PC IP and tried to save it. I get a pop-up message "HA-Bridge reinitializing, waiting for completion," that does not close. I close that browser tab, and now the HA-Bridge server no longer runs.

I restart Alex10 and use the Change Address button to set the config back to localhost:8080. I get an error message but let it continue. When I click Start Bridge, I get a pop-up - Unable to access jar file, but then an Alex10 pop-up "The bridge is running," and the message inside the Alex10 panel now reads Running Bridge version 4.5.6. I then try to add a device and get the same error message - the bridge needs to be running....

All of this is very confusing. I'm not versed in using the Java command line, and if Alex10 were sufficiently robust, I should not have to.

So how do I clean up this "mess?"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 01:26:27 pm »

The windows popup stating error reading Config file means one of three things
1. The file can't be found
2. the IP of HA-Bridge is different then what is in Alex10
3. the port is different then what Alex10 has in its settings.

the other messages your getting also seem to point to the bridge either running on a different IP then what Alex10 has or there is a conflict with another server application.
Alex10 can be minimized to the system tray or closed altogether without effecting its performance.(it was never designed to stay open thus the reason for not coding ability to move).
If you close Alex10 then open the HA-Bridge web interface you can stop it from there or you can use task manager.
Alex10 is simply a front end for HA-Bridge and is not a java application to help with programing the Bridge.
Once the info is in the bridges interface Alex10 can be closed and no longer needs to be opened. However without it running X10 execution will be slower from Alexa and if the Bridge stops (which it has a tendency to do) you'll need to restart it manually

Since you have more then one java application running you may have conflicting fire wall rules
each time Java is updated these need to be redone and if you have multiple java rules Windows gets confused.

Not having a static IP can mess up things, what is reported in Alex10 doesn't mean that is what the bridge setting actually is.
In the bridge interface go to bridge control, scroll down to "UPNP IP Address" and make sure this is your PCs IP
Web Server IP Address = 0.0.0.0
Web Server Port =something that isn't conflicting with another server application which may be running on your PC. default is 80
Take the time and set your PC to a static IP.

If you still have issues Zip up and email me your Alex10 data folder.
I have seen the HA-Bridge configuration file get corrupt. I may be able to sort it out if that is the case. At least I can compare what Alex10 is expecting verses what the bridge is.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 05:00:21 am »

After examining the configuration file HA-Bridge creates I see the developers have added additional info which messes with the read of the file.
They have added additional info for the next build which also messes with Alex10s ability to read other Bridge files. (CZB) For now the unable to locate the configuration file should be ignored. I'll recode Alex10 so next build will fix this, however that build will require some testers to ensure all these new adds don't mess with how Alex10 functions.
Anyone wishing to test the next build of Alex10 should PM or email me and I'll get a version to you as soon as I have (what I thing is) all the adds the HA-Bridge developers have coded for its next release.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!
Pages: [1]