Tuicemen.com

Advanced search  

News:

Alex10  (Build 1.5.3.7 ) is now  available for download ~:0~

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dell Latitude ST Tablet  (Read 135 times)

Morry

• Helpful Rating: 2
Dell Latitude ST Tablet
« on: September 29, 2017, 07:42:12 pm »

When we first retired I started looking into buying a used tablet computer, mostly to help keep bulky things under control while we traveled. I did some research and finally decided that a Windows based unit would probably be best as I could have a very high level of compatibility between it and my other systems.
I stumbled upon an older Dell Latitude ST running Windows 7 for not much money and started working with it.The more I did the more I realized that while it was somewhat slow, it would do almost everything my laptop would do.
It has a dedicated power connector, a "real" USB port, Bluetooth, Wifi, and a stylus for working directly on the screen.
I have installed a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and the stylus works quite well also.
As mentioned elsewhere I have been using X10 products almost forever and one of my major concerns has always been having a "backup" for the computer that talks to my CM-15. Just because I could, I installed the Activehome Pro software and Tuicemen's lifejacket to this tablet, and believe it or not it works quite well!
The standard USB port talks to the CM-15 properly and because there is a dedicated power port there is no problem leaving this thing alive permanently.
Using the touch screen can be slightly tricky BUT the stylus overcomes that completely.Because this thing will support a Bluetooth mouse its screen behaves just like a smaller desktop screen and it is totally useable as a smaller version of any other computer.
I feel that something like this can be a real asset in the future for several reasons. It does support Remote Desktop Connection from other Windows based PC's, so this means you could dedicate something like this to be your main "controller" and access it from every other Windows machine that you have on your network. The latest versions of RDC really work very well!
Also my computer room is located on the lower level and near the back of our house and like many others I have had trouble with both the wireless and powerline signals reaching all areas of our home. There is nothing to stop me from moving this combination to a more centralized location in a cupboard, mounting it permanently and accessing it remotely from where ever using Windows devices through RDC.
I am really considering building a shelf for this right beside our breaker panel. That would probably be the best of all worlds.
Morry

Brian H

• Helpful Rating: 0
Re: Dell Latitude ST Tablet
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 02:20:37 am »

Thank you for sharing you project.
I am sure it will give others assistance in their automating setup.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 24
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 05:40:04 am »

I have yet to install any type of HA on a Windows Tablet but have had to help others using Lifejacket on one to switch the drive IDs.
It should be noted a mini USB port will work as well as a standard USB port  using a mini to standard USB adaptor however you also need a dedicated charge port.
 (NTr)
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

Morry

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 12:14:11 pm »

So I have now had the Dell tablet alive for more than a month as my only X10 controller and so far it has not missed a beat!
I am so pleased with it that I am going to try taking this to the next level.
The Dell Latitude ST and ST2 both have docking stations available for them and I can see several benefits in using one for my system.
These allow you to have more  USB ports as well as a hard wired network and I think this would probably make for a very interesting upgrade. I also like the idea of having it properly mounted in this on a shelf.
I found one on Ebay for not too much money and it is on its way to me.
Once it is here I will report on what it is capable of and how well the network and USB work.

Morry

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 12:21:07 pm »

I am very pleased with the final result.
The Latitude ST docking station has an additional 3 USB ports as well as a hard wired network port. This has allowed me to hard wire the network for this and get the fastest possible network traffic so that when I access the tablet using RDC every thing happens very fast.
There are additional drivers for the docking station and once they install the tablet finds  all the USB ports and the network.
As mentioned before I have put this computer and its CM 15 on a shelf in my utility room and it was not that difficult to route a cat 5 cable from my main router to this location. An inexpensive USB corded mouse finishes off this installation and makes local control quite easy.
Since the CM 15 does not have to be permanently attached to its controlling computer, it is possible for you to use Activehome Pro when needed and then remove this tablet from its docking station and use it as needed elsewhere.(I have the second docking station by my computer desk making for very easy access at that location as well).

Pages: [1]