Tuicemen.com

Advanced search  

News:

Share your Automated House and Ideas in the Members Section! :0~

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: X10 Checkbox  (Read 56 times)

Morry

• Helpful Rating: 2
X10 Checkbox
« on: September 07, 2017, 11:34:54 am »

I first got involved with Home Automation back in the mid-80s.
The Canadian Radio Shack stores all sold their version of the X10 products and I needed an easy answer to a "timing" problem with my house.
A couple of appliance modules and a timer and I was hooked.
And after all these years I am still working with it!
One of my main beliefs with HA is that the solution has to be easier to work with than what you are already doing, and the one thing that I felt was missing was a desktop equivalent to the Palm Pad. Well now I have one!
There are times when I just need to be able to trigger a unit or two remotely from my computer and this is an easy solution for that.
This app works with the CM 15 and before you install this you must have both Activehome Pro installed as well as the Developers Toolkit.
After unzipping the archive, double Click on the setup.exe file and the installation will start.
Everything will be put in the following path C:\apps\checkbox and a new folder called Checkbox will be installed in your Start Menu.
The first time you start Checkbox you will see the default labels and house codes.These are all editable through the options menu and there are no restrictions as to any kind of sequence or house code.
This allows you to have 16 unique units available for control from your desktop.
I normally keep mine minimized in the lower right corner of my desktop only maximizing it when I need to use it.
The direct link to the file is included below

http://tuicemen.com/downloads/checkbox.zip

Have fun!

Morry

Morry

• Helpful Rating: 2
Re: X10 Checkbox
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 01:03:11 pm »

Although this app allows you to have 16 unique units to be able to control, I have already found the need for more.
I compiled Checkbox to be able to be run more than one iteration and it is not that hard to set up a second unique copy.
Use File Explorer to access C:\apps and create a new folder called checkbox2. Then open the checkbox folder and copy its contents to checkbox2.
Go into checkbox2 and create a new shortcut for checkbox.exe. This shortcut will always access the second app and can be copied pretty much anywhere including your desktop.
This shortcut will always start up the second checkbox app.
After firing this up any changes you make to either codes or labels will be saved for the second app.
I have changed the background colour for it so I don't get the two confused.
Morry

roger1818

• Helpful Rating: 0
Re: X10 Checkbox
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:11:46 am »

Although this app allows you to have 16 unique units to be able to control, I have already found the need for more.
I compiled Checkbox to be able to be run more than one iteration and it is not that hard to set up a second unique copy.

Rather than running multiple iterations, why not add a pull down to select which Housecode you want it to use (similar to the old CM17A Firecracker software)?  It could be configurable to limit which Housecodes are in the list and names  could  be assigned to each Housecode and the unit labels on the buttons could be updated depending which Housecode was selected.
Pages: [1]