Alex10  (Build 1.5.3.5 ) is now  available for download ~:0~

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Howdy!  (Read 89 times)

TexARC

• Helpful Rating: 0
Howdy!
« on: June 29, 2017, 11:49:34 am »

Greetings from near Austin, TX
I installed a StarGate in 1997, 20 years ago, in my then-new home.  Many PCS banks of X10 switches throughout three floors controlled by low voltage digital keypads in rooms connected by Cat5 to RS-485 hub/StarGate (instead of 110v wiring).  The StarGate controls the X10s, also IR to all entertainment devices, opto-isolated switches controlling garage opener, RCS thermostats, etc.
Been putting off the migration since most things work as desired, but I want more.... :)
I think the Echo Show that arrived last night, and the Alex10, plus a platform to run it on, may give me full voice and logic control over my house.  AND make huge happiness for SWMBO. 
I just need to figger it all out!  I hope gaining access here will let me do that.   Right now I don't know enough to be able to ask the right questions, so I'm looking for some good FAQs.  CHEERS!  (Chr)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 24
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
Re: Howdy!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 12:25:51 pm »

Welcome aboard,
Alex10 is a Windows frontend for the HA-bridge.
It is possible to run the HA-Bridge on any platform but not Alex10.
I'm unfamiliar with a StarGate however if it is capable of processing X10 RF you can use a cm19 and maybe a cm17 (though I haven't tested one with Alex10)
the Alex10 board has a FAQ section if you don't see something there feel free to post to that section.
http://tuicemen.com/forum/index.php?board=98.0
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

brobin

• Forum Supporter!
  • Helpful Rating: 0
Re: Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 08:23:24 pm »

Howdy back at ya TexARC! I've been a Stargate SG1 user since the mid 90's too and still using it in two homes. I have several Alexa devices and wanted to add Alexa voice control to the Stargate as well.  Here's how I did that: I bought a CM-15a on ebay ($40) and installed the full Alex10 package with the HA Bridge and the registration free version of ActiveHome. I loaded it all on the same laptop that I use to run WinEVM but any PC will do. Following the excellent instructions for Alex10 I had Alexa controlling things in less than 30 min.  Rather than having Alexa turn on modules directly, I've set aside a group of otherwise unused X10 addresses as triggers to activate SG1 events. For example, if you have an event to open the garage door you could set up Alex10 to send A1-On in response to an Alexa voice command to "turn on garage door" and A1-Off  for "turn off garage door."  Then just add  the A1 On/Off condition to your event logic to control the relay in the SG1. You can do the same with the RCS t-stats or any other device.
  I have a group of lights (using 4 X10 addresses) in my office that come on and dim to pre-set levels at 'sunset -20' and go off at 2AM or when the alarm is armed. They will do the same in response to receiving A-16 on and off commands which is what Alexa sends in response to 'Turn On/Off office lights.
  Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any questions.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 08:29:07 pm by brobin »
Pages: [1]