Tuicemen.com

Advanced search  

News:

Share your Automated House and Ideas in the Members Section! :0~

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Multiple Alexa devices(Echo,Dots,Taps...)  (Read 246 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 24
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
Multiple Alexa devices(Echo,Dots,Taps...)
« on: May 14, 2017, 04:10:54 am »

Many users of Alexa have several echos, dots, or taps in use.
With new options and hardware in the works or already released the Idea of having more then one in operation is looking more appealing.
I recently picked up a couple more and took one already configured to my cottage.
The streaming of music and flash briefings was faster then I had ever expected.
Since I had originally set this unit up with Alex10 in the city I was curious to see what was possible.
To my amazement I was able to control my X10 modules back home.
Discovering this made me realize why so many take one on vacation.
I've yet been able to configure this one to control X10 devices at the cottage. I suspect I may need to configure a different one for this location using a different account. Once done linking the two accounts may allow controlling both locations from one or the other dot.
Has any one been able to do something like this?

For those with multiple Amazon Aexa devices in operation, how are you using them?

Amazon just rolled out a new call feature in the Alexa app which allows you to make a call to or from a Alexa device. Since this appears to currently be available only in the USA I'm not up on the possibilities. Is anyone using this option?
From my readings it seems the option isn't truly ready for prime time. :(

Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

IPS

• Beta Tester
  • Helpful Rating: 0
Re: Multiple Alexa devices(Echo,Dots,Taps...)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 10:45:12 am »

I have three Amazon Dots. I use them on three floors and they work fine. Now that you mentioned it, I'll take one to my office and see if it will control home lights.
I tried to down load the new app for calling on my iPhone but was not allowed as iPhone Amazon account is not USA. Will soon try again and keep you posted. The slight advantage over SIRI is that don't have to have phone in hand.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 01:42:41 pm »

In order to have Alexa work from another location you'll need to configure it to your office IP.
That may be a issue for some.
According to the help me file you can make a call without the phone you only need the phone to configure numbers and to associate a number to the account as it uses a SMS to confirm.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

IPS

• Beta Tester
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 01:18:33 am »

To configure Alexa to office router would be same as at home. Or will it be different?
At office how will Alexa see the HA-Bridge? I do have dyndns account. Will try and let you know.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 02:59:07 am »

At your office you'll need to set up the dot the same as you originally did when first out of the package as it won't find a internet connection.
You'll not need to do anything else.
The Dot will not see x10 devices from this location but may see other wi-fi devices configured at your home (mine sees my wemo) the app however will see all devices.
your dot at the office talks to amazon then forwards the info to your dots at home (remember Amazon knows all IPs your dots are using)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 06:41:51 am »

Update:
I brought a second dot to the cottage and set it up with a different account hoping this would solve my issue with it not seeing my X10 setup.
With this new dot setup and discovering my X10 devices I gave the old Dot (with other account)a second go.
Success  `:) ~:0~  it is seeing my devices here and although it doesn't see the devices at the city (when asked to discover devices) it will control them.
The fact that two accounts aren't required is good news.

I found two Dots aren't needed here,  as Alexa can hear me from anywhere on the main floor or the loft.
In the city extra Dots are required, although it is a smaller place it isn't a open concept design.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

brobin

• Forum Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 08:08:32 am »

In my house we have 2 Echos and 2 dots. One of each is registered to my Amazon account and the others to my wife's Amazon account. All four are on the same network in the house.  After setting up Alex10 I asked each unit to discover devices and, to my delight, all the units did so even though there are two different Amazon accounts. All the units also discovered the Honeywell T-stats and the Lutron scenes as well.  ~:0~
Pages: [1]