Tuicemen.com

Advanced search  

News:

Share your Automated House and Ideas in the Members Section! :0~

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How does Echo Dot recognize Alex10?  (Read 592 times)

mgtr

• Forum Supporter!
  • Helpful Rating: 0
How does Echo Dot recognize Alex10?
« on: March 30, 2017, 03:05:05 pm »

I successfully started up Alex10.  I defined a desk lamp, and I can turn it on and off from the Alex10 control panel..  How do I get Alexa to recognize Alex10, or AHP, so that I will have voice control?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 24
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
Re: How does Echo Dot recognize Alex10?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 05:17:15 pm »

Alexa talks to the HA-Bridge so the HA-Bridge needs to be running at all times.
Alex10 doesn't need to be running for Alexa to control x10 devices it just performs faster if it is running.
Alexa doesn't actually see Alex10.
This is how it works you say "Alexa turn on living room lamp"
Alexa passes this call to the HA-Bridge the bridge attempts to call Alex10 sending the x10 command. A successful bridge call returns a signal to Alexa to say OK.
Alex10 decodes the signal sent to it (window command or batch file) from the bridge and sends the corresponding X10 signal to the PC interface.
If you don't have Alex10 auto starting the ha-bridge you need to manually start it.
If you reboot your PC and Alex10 isn't set to auto start you'll need to manually start the HA-Bridge.
The option to just load the Bridge on a PC reboot isn't in Alex10 but you could manually add it to the start folder so Alex10 doesn't need to start.
 (Chr)
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

mgtr

• Forum Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 04:13:55 am »

OK, I am making progress.  I think everything is correct, but Alexa says "Sorry, I couldn't find 'desk light' in Duncan's account."   Sometimes it says something about couldn't find a group or object with that name.  HA Bridge is running, and I can turn the light on and off from the Alex10 control panel.  Sorry to be dense about this, but it doesn't work and I am frustrated.  Do I need Alexa to discover HA Bridge?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 08:31:31 am »

Be sure java inbound permissions are set to allow in your firewall settings other wise Alexa will not see the bridge or any devices configured with it.
You need to tell Alexa to discover devices by voice or in the Alexa app with the HA-Bridge running and the bridge needs to always be running to control x10 with Alexa.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Jander22

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 10:36:48 am »

I had some issues getting the devices to show up in Alexa, but I know why.
Let me walk you through the steps:
1) Install and configure Alex10, enter your devices (you already did that)
2) *** Make sure your HA-Bridge address is the actual IP address, NOT localhost (that was the issue with my setup when Alexa didn't recognize the devices)
3) Check HA-Bridge in Internet Explorer - enter your-ip-address:port-number (ie: 192.168.0.111:80)
4) Test your devices in HA-Bridge, make sure you can turn them on and off
5) Shut down Alex10
6) Shut down Alexa (unplug)
7) Restart Alex10
8.) Restart Alexa
9) Go to your Alexa app and discover devices again

Also, if you add a new device make sure you shut down Alex10 after and restart it, then go back in Alexa and discover devices again to pick up the newly added devices.

Good Luck - hope this helps!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 01:30:26 pm »

You shouldn't have had to restart Alex10 or unplug the Amazon Alexa device, just have Alexa rediscover devices.
However I'm happy to see you have it working. :)!
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

mgtr

• Forum Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 04:58:38 am »

OK, I am getting help from all around.  However, I still have silly problems.  First, I checked all the boxes on Alex10, and now the control panel is hidden.  So I removed Alex10 and downloaded it again, but I get Delete File Code 32, being used by another process.  So, I cannot reload Alex10.  Everything else I can understand, except what IP address to use.  There is one for the internet adapter on my computer, which is how the computer talks to Echo Dot,  and also for the Ethernet adapter, which is how the computer is connected to the router.  I also do not begin to understand the info on static IPs, but my guess is that one of these two will do the job.
Once I get past this crawling stage, I think might even be able to walk a little!
As an aside, it has been at least 30 years since I used DOS!
Thanks in advance for your continued patience.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 06:03:01 am »

If you checked all boxes in the configuration screen the top one is to load Alex10 hidden so that was normal you didn't need to uninstall and reinstall.
you get the delete file error most likely because the bridge is still running.
open you browser and go to the bridge control then click on bridge stop.
The IP to use is the PC Alex10 & Bridge are installed on.
You didn't state what version of Windows your running or I over looked it.

You should not need to use Dos for any of this.
Reading the help file for the bridge is confusing as it is written for Linux users and primarily for Pi users.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

mgtr

• Forum Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 06:57:22 am »

OK, I understand that you are giving complete and timely answers.  But, I have almost no understanding of what you write.  Example, when I had the Alex10 control panel hidden (my mistake), I removed it from the computer.  What should I have done to see the control panel again?  Now I cannot reload Alex10, and you said run ha-bridge from my browser and stop the bridge.  I have no clue how to run ha-bridge from my browser, I can't even find it. 
I apologize, but I really do want to get this running, or I might as well chuck all my X10 stuff in the trash.  I used to have a boss who said "Everyone is stupid, except in a few areas."  This is one area in which I am stupid.  Sorry to be so inept.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 07:44:17 am »

when Alex10 is loaded hidden a icon will be in the system tray by the clock clicking on it will bring up a small window with options to Show/Hide, Configuration, Close  & About
Clicking the show/hide would have displayed the main page of Alex10.
To bring up the HA-Bridge you would type in the IP and port assigned it in your browsers address bar. By default that would be locahost:80
Don't use IE as it doesn't display the bridge correctly (at least on my windows 10 PC  )
Alternately you can open task manager and locate Java (TM) Platform SE Binary 32 highlight it then click end task
A restart of windows should also unload it and allow a reinstall of Alex10
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

mgtr

• Forum Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 07:59:05 am »

I am happy to report some progress.  It still doesn't work, and I guess I will have to make a substantial contribution to the cause if it ever does work.  I now have Alex10 running again (and I see the gizmo in the lower right corner).  I can operate devices from Alex10 and from the bridge, but not from Alexa.
I have read until I am blue in the face about static IPs, but it is all Greek to me.  I used ipconfig, and get the following addresses:  wireless LAN, Ethernet, and default.  The numbers are identical except for the last digit.  I have the latest version of Alex10, the latest version of Java, I turn off the firewall altogether (in Norton).
So, the problem appears to me to be either of two items:  I don't have a static ip, and I have no idea what address to put into Alex10.
As I said, progress, but the engine still isn't running.  Thanks for your patience.
So, my hunch

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 08:26:50 am »

Your 2/3 of the way there! ;>
A static IP is so your router doesn't assign your router a different IP then what you originally set things up with when it restarts.
The IP you set in Alex10 is the IP of the PC HA-Bridge is on and that should be the same that Alex10 is installed on. If you connect to your router wirelessly (no wire) use that IP else use the Ethernet IP.
I still suspect a firewall issue though I'm not sure which Windows your running.
Usually Windows detects disabling a third party firewall and starts its firewall.
the easiest way to set your firewall inbound rule for Java is (with Alexa and the bridge stoped & closed) to go into windows firewall inbound rules and delete the rules for java.
With those rules removed restart Alex10 you should get a security popup about java, enable both public and private.
 (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Jander22

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 02:18:21 pm »

OK now I'm having issues...
Everything was working fine, and today I switched my ISP. When I opened Alex10 it says Offline in the right bottom corner. It doesn't display the version number (it just says "version#" under "Running HA-Bridge" and nothing after it).
When I try to click on "Setup" nothing happens for a few seconds. Then the screen maximizes and if I click on any buttons nothing happens. Once in a while I can get the "Basic Configuration Settings" screen to popup, but when I click on "Change Address" to set it to the new IP address I get a Microsoft .NET Framework error: "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Object reference not set to an instance of an object". If I click on Continue the same error comes back. If I click on Quit it shuts down Alex10 completely. I uninstalled and reinstalled Alex10, same behavior. I uninstalled it the second time, rebooted, and reinstalled - same thing. I am running Windows 10 64 bit. Not sure what else to try, please advise.
Update - I was able to remove and reinstall after many combinations. Now I can operate the interface, I added all my lights back in, however when I go in browser I don't see any of the devices, just the ha-bridge banner. Alexa also doesn't find any of the lights.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:06:37 pm by Jander22 »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 04:32:38 pm »

Others have experienced your issue which seems to be a bridge issue.
See: https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/issues/600
The last build of the bridge and the last windows update seem to have created issues for some and some browsers. Windows Edge was one, some reported issues with Chrome as well but I didn't experience that.
I found updating Windows 10 to the creator edition fixed the browser issue your experiencing for the Edge Browser.

Switching ISP can cause issues if you also got a new modem as internal IPs will most likely be different. The fact that you can add devices indicates the bridge is now working correctly.
Since Alexa can't see devices indicates your Java inbound rules need to be updated to allow.
the easiest way to set your firewall inbound rule for Java is (with Alexa and the bridge stoped & closed) to go into windows firewall inbound rules and delete the rules for java.
With those rules removed restart Alex10 you should get a security popup about java, enable both public and private.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 04:45:11 pm by Tuicemen »
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Jander22

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 05:48:08 pm »

I see the the lights in Chrome, just not in IE and Edge. I don't really care as long as the bridge is operational.
How do you get windows creator update? Is it free?
Also, can you remind me how to set java rules?
I'll search the forum as well.
Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2