Tuicemen.com

Advanced search  

News:

Alex10  (Build 1.5.3.5 ) is now  available for download ~:0~

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2 Bridges, One River  (Read 341 times)

alzy

• Helpful Rating: 0
2 Bridges, One River
« on: February 07, 2017, 02:12:20 pm »

Will Alexa find and control devices from two bridges running simultaneously on 2 different PCs with different ports?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 24
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
Re: 2 Bridges, One River
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 02:25:49 pm »

Yes!
I have done this you need to be careful not to name the devices the same as Alexa will see both versions and when you ask to control them she'll say something along the lines of which one I see two at that name.
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

alzy

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 07:54:38 am »

Is the answer to this still "yes" with the latest version of HA-bridge? Won't the device ID's confuse Alexa if they are the same on both?

alzy

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 07:57:46 am »

.....Even if the device names are different

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 09:43:45 am »

I haven't tried this since discovering Alexa would see devices on multiple bridges.
I'm not sure why one would wish 2 bridges anyways however it should still work even with the newest version. The device IDs are matched to the device name so that Alexa know where to send the request.

Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

IPS

• Beta Tester
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 12:16:32 am »

I do run two Ha-bridges quite often one on PC that is connected with cm15a and actually controls all AHP devices and a laptop that I use just to test Alex 10 and related stuff before putting it to AHP PC. Both computers have same apps as far as Alex 10 and Alexa are concerned.

What happens when I play with laptop and then either ask Alexa to discover or ask Alexa to control devices. Alexa is not confused but, at times, on checking Alexa on PC I found twice as many devices listed and if laptop is off then half the devices are listed as offline. So at that point I click fore get all and then discover and that gives correct number.

I have added two more Amazon dots. So now have three Alexes controlling at three levels of the house. It is quite convenient this way. But unfortunately I still have to use palm pad to control some devices. These are for reasons,am not sure of yet, are not controllable even with x10 commander app and at times with AHP smartphone app. They all worked fine all these years. May be the switches are getting old!.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 04:55:12 am »

I've often thought about coding Alex10 to run on multiple PCs but use one bridge.
Alex10 will currently see a bridge running on a different PC and populate the devices screen with all devices configured in the bridge.
However it will currently hang.
I haven't dug into this issue to see what causes it to hang  but suspect it may be X10 drivers not present on the PC I tested it on.
If users are running Alex10 on multi PCs merely to test as IPS does then there is no need to make changes.
I really don't see the need to run two bridges all the time and would like to understand the need.
If it is merely to see from other locations what is actually on/off, or If it is to control as well as see bridge devices from another location, then I can dig into the code to see what needs to be done to allow that.
However remember Alex10 wasn't created to be a replacement for AHP but merely to allow easy setup for Alexa control.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

alzy

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 05:15:03 am »

The only reason I may run 2 bridges on 2 pcs is when I am testing a new release of Alex10 prior to going mainstream with it.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 02:01:02 pm »

for testing you'll only experience what IPS mentioned ;>
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!