Tuicemen.com

Advanced search  

News:

Alex10  (Build 1.5.3.5 ) is now  available for download ~:0~

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dimming lights  (Read 438 times)

TulsaTV

• Forum Supporter!
  • Helpful Rating: 0
Dimming lights
« on: February 02, 2017, 08:28:26 am »

I did some further messing around with specifying a level (SENDPLC_A2_DIM_50) in the DIM batch file, and adding a BRIGHT_100 script to the ON section of the bridge. I noticed that my changes often automatically stopped the bridge, so I just started it back up.

I wish there were a BRIGHTen option, so I could adjust the level up as well as DIMming it. I could do a workaround by creating a new activity, but it would have to be named differently than the device it is for (e.g., for"Theater lights", call it "Up tee lights").

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 24
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
Re: Dimming lights
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 09:57:47 am »

I moved this  as  it doesn't apply to a AllLightson/off.  x10 has no dim command for allLights.
If you create scripts other batch files like Alex10 creates it is possible to send dim/brighten levels,Or so the HA-Bridge readme tends one to believe. ??? ::) :`)

The dim command wasn't meant for program calls from the bridge. which the batch files are essentially
When I initially started to play with this, a batch file was the only thing I could get to fire.
I had no success with  VB script, JavaScript or typing in the direct link which is in the batch file.
The Bridges has had several updates since then so If someone wants to spend some time experimenting with scripts and can find something that works with the dim let me know what you find.
I'm ALWAYS looking for improvement so I'll add it and change the way Alex10 writes scripts for the bridge.
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

alzy

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 04:33:33 pm »

So Alex10 currently has no dim capability?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 04:49:59 am »

Alex10 does have dim however it does take a bit of tweaking due to how the bridge issues it.
x10 commands are configured in the Bridge as program scripts and the bridge issues on/off/dim commands which are meant for a Philips Hue.
X10 protocol has no command for AllLightsDim but you can create a batch file with all your lights to dim by adding them individually as TulsaTV has.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 08:26:42 am »

I've added a dim function with slider to the Alex10 Main UI.
The slider value currently is only for non x10 configured devices so I'm unsure how it will perform as I have none.
Since using the On/Off/Dim commands from here all get passed threw the HA-Bridge. X10 commands will be slow using this method.
Also the dim will only be 5% for X10 devices unless you changed the batch file to send a value.

I'll look at coding so if the device you select is a x10 device then Alex10 will send the signal directly. This will allow the Dim selection to send the specified value.
 (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 06:05:27 am »

Alex10 is getting some improvement to the dim function see:
http://tuicemen.com/forum/index.php?topic=1091.0
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 06:17:31 am »

A dim/brighten enhancement with Alex10 (1.5.3.2)
With HA-Bridge 4.3.0 it allows Alex10 to more accurately handle Softstart type lights which will turn on to previous Bright levels. This should also allow Alex10 to more accurately calculate what dim/bright command to send x10 Softstart modules based on the values the bridge is reporting.
In order to use this, a new option will appear in Alex10 beside the "is dimmable" check box when you add devices.
This new option is a check box called "is Softstart" if this is checked when you turn off a device that has been dimmed the dim value will remain.
If you leave it unchecked when you turn off a device the dim value will be set to zero.
If your devices are all softstart you don't need to edit them or redo them
How ever if they're not you will have to change them in Alex10 or the bridge

This can be changed for non softstart devices in the bridge the following way:
To do this open the bridge in the device screen click on edit for the device you wish to modify
in the edit window scroll down to "Off State Resets Bri" and check the box that says false (that will change to true)
Scroll back to the top of the page and click Update Bridge Device

To change in Alex10 you'll need to delete the device then re-add it so I believe it to be easier the bridge method.

Remember there is no need to do anything for existing configured devices which are Softstart!

Note: With any changes you need to have Alexa rediscover devices to ensure nothing is lost.
(Chr)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:22:54 am by Tuicemen »
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

mikep809

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 12:59:16 pm »

hi

need help with dimming, selected fields in Alex 10. but when i ask to dim 50% or so nothing happens. what am i missong?

thxs Mike

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 02:17:27 pm »

Dimming is a bit tricky with the bridge and Alexa
I never had much luck saying dim I had better luck with brighten. I found saying: Alexa (device name) ( value ) percent worked best. Others use Set (devicename) (value) percent.
Since the bridge really doesn't know your lights state your results will vary.
You'll need to experiment with different wording and if you haven't done voice training do at least one session (it will help) ;>

Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!
Pages: [1]