Tuicemen.com

Advanced search  

News:

Share your Automated House and Ideas in the Members Section! :0~

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: X10 Console SC1200 Memory Issues  (Read 844 times)

John Braun

• Helpful Rating: 0
X10 Console SC1200 Memory Issues
« on: May 16, 2016, 07:37:47 pm »

In the past few months, my SC1200 control console has developed a peculiar problem.  It randomly drops any memory of remote motion detectors (I have 3)... When leaving the home, The system is armed by using a keychain remote.  I've programmed the system to flash a light in a room that is visible from the point where the keychain remote is used to arm the system.  The keychain Arm button is pressed, and the light briefly flashes, supposedly indicating an 'ARMED SYSTEM'... When I returned home, I entered an area with a motion detector, forgetting to disarm the system... Result, no alarm sounded at all...  I checked the SC1200 console and found that the motion detectors were not registered.
I then cleared the memory of the SC1200 and re-registered the individual motion detectors.  Once that was done, the system worked for about a week, and then developed the same memory issue as before... Motion detectors were not being recognized... I checked the internal backup batteries and they were in good shape.  I should add that the SC1200 is also plugged into an uninterruptible AC power source, as are the satellite receiver and video recorder.  I also have a clock (without internal backup battery) connected as well, to indicate the possible AC failure.  If there has been a power failure, the clock would have defaulted to all zeros.  In the cases that I've mentioned above, the clock kept the proper time... There were no power glitches of any kind.  Yesterday, the SC1200 crashed again... all motion detectors were no longer recognized.
Has anyone experienced this condition... The SC1200 is about 5 to 7 years old.  X10 is having a sale of these items, at a discounted price.  Maybe it's time for a replacement... Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks, John Braun   

Brian H

Re: X10 Console SC1200 Memory Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 02:10:16 am »

I maybe hardware in the early stage of failing.
Could be the power wall wart's output getting poor or the internal memory wearing out. As I don't know how many write cycles it is specified for.
They do sell just the power supply but at >5 years old maybe time to replace it.
You did much better than I did. My LCD display died at about 1.5 years old.

I am intrigued. Exactly how are you getting the X10 power line signals through an uninterruptible AC power source with all the electronics on the circuit? 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 24
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 04:34:55 am »

I'm also wondering why it is even on a UPS.
Although I don't have a SC1200 it does have batteries for back up like my DS7000.
The UPS would prevent X10 PLC signals from reaching devices in most cases.

I also suspect the unit is failing. With Authinx stating they plan to update devices as they are replenished I'm not sure if the units on sale have been updated or they are getting rid of old stock to make way for the new model (updated versions).

Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

John Braun

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 11:30:34 am »

Well, it seems like we all agree on the possible causes of the memory losses.  To answer the question, "Why a UPS...?").  This system has only three motion detectors that are wireless... But, your question triggered something.  The audible (very loud) sound device is located in the first floor and is plugged into a standard 120 volt AC outlet.  The system has always operated normally as if the UPS was not there.  When I began noting the memory issue, I moved the SC1200 power supply from a regular AC outlet to the UPS since the UPS has been my backup for the DirecTV receiver and DVR.  The Loud Audible Alarm is not affected by the UPS.  When the memory issue was first noted, I thought that the cause might have been a brief power line glitch... To work around that possibility, I began using the UPS... The internal SC1200 batteries had died and I replaced them.  As to the mystery of why the system works while plugged into the UPS....?  Still remains the mystery of the day...

...JB

Brian H

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 02:35:51 am »

As an electronic technician.
I have seen Murphy's Law get into the mix.
I have seen things that should not work do work fine.

The loud sounder you mentioned. If it is the one inside the SC1200 console. It would not be effected by being on an UPS. A power line controlled Large or Small Powerhorn module could be effected.

John Braun

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 03:46:30 am »

The Small Powerhorn is located in the kitchen, near the rear entrance... (I had forgotten the trade name of the "loud sounder")
It is plugged into a standard AC outlet... and, it works very well, even though the SC1200 is powered by a UPS... So, there is very little isolation to contend with.  'Murphy' was out to lunch, and all of the smoke is still inside all of the electronic components... <GRIN>

Brian H

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 02:26:51 am »

As long as it is working fine. That is the main concern.
Even if most installs would have issues.
Pages: [1]